What’s your favorite flavor? Mine is hands down Chocolate Almond! Here in NY, we have a Local Frozen Custard Chain “Abbott’s Custard”. People come from all over to experience the taste and texture of this silky frozen treat! Especially the original establishment down by Lake Ontario at Charlotte Beach! I don’t know why but the one by the beach just tastes so much better, maybe because it’s because it is the Original! They are open seasonally so when it opens, excitement starts to stir as you know the long, cold winter is over!
I was challenged because my best friend can not have dairy, so we can no longer enjoy it together…..plus it’s made with sugar and that is my enemy. sad face:( I wanted to recreate this taste of summer without dairy, eggs, and sugar! What a task. Well I had seen a recipe using Avocado as the base of a frozen dessert from Bam’s Kitchen “Avocado Ice Candy”. I have also had a vegan avocado mousse from one of our local restaurants, so it seamed fitting to use this as the base. But I needed to create that creamy flavor and silky texture, and it had to be dairy free. This is so rich and creamy and the texture is so silky and smooth, like a real frozen custard!!
So I grabbed a can of coconut cream and the rest is History! This can be a No-Churn if you choose, it also makes a fabulous pudding. I like to pre -portion them and store them in little Jelly Jars, they are just the right size and keep it fresh! Try it both ways, you will love it!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1- 12 oz can coconut cream or extra thick coconut cream (Trader Joe's)
- 3 T Hershey's cacao powder
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t xanthan gum *optional
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol
- 3/4 cup water (not needed if using regular canned Coconut Milk/ not cream)
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted salted Almonds
- 1 t caramel extract *optional
- place all ingredients into blender
- blend until smooth thick texture
- add mixture to ice cream maker to chill or place mixture directly into freezer to chill
- let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before eating
4.2 net carbs per serving